Getting started on Zoom
Joining Zoom Session – You don’t need to have a Zoom account to take part, however you will need to have the Zoom app downloaded on your laptop or device. The Zoom application must be downloaded and installed via https://zoom.us/download. You will have received a unique hyperlink via email which you can click on to open the session, or alternatively you can visit the Zoom website and enter the Meeting ID and password.
Waiting Room – You will be able to join the session from 15 minutes prior to the start time, and at this time you will be placed in a ‘Waiting Room’ until the AGC Staff member opens the session at the scheduled start time. You might like to visit our Welcome web page for more information while you wait.
When you join the class there are a few Zoom features to be aware of (desktop instructions included below):
- Join Audio – When you join the session you will be prompted to ‘join with computer audio’.
- Mute Microphone – Once you have joined the class please make sure your microphone has been muted by clicking ‘mute’ in the bottom left hand corner of the screen – a strike will appear through the microphone.
- Video On – You should also make sure your video is turned on by clicking ‘start video’ in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.
- View Options – You can adjust your view to either ‘Speaker view’ where you will see the AGC staff in full screen, or ‘Gallery view’ where you will see all participants in a grid format.
- Display Name – When you join a Zoom meeting you can click on the three dots on the top right hand corner of your image and select ‘rename’. Please use your daughter’s first name and last name (rather than a parent name) as this is the name the AGC Staff will see during the class.
- Leave Meeting – At the end of the session, you will be able to leave the meeting and switch your Zoom off by selecting the red ‘Leave Meeting’ text in the bottom right hand corner of your screen.
At ASPA the safety of our participants is always our number one priority. While our Open Day plans have changed this year our focus on safety hasn’t. We will approach our virtual Open Day with this in mind and will:
- Invite only the parents of registered girls to the relevant session for their daughter. This invitation will include the Meeting ID and password.
- Ask that all participants have video turned on.
- Respect your family’s e-safety choices. We know many parents only allow screen time in public family spaces and encourage you to apply this rule to the virtual Open Day as you wish. Our AGC Staff are very happy to have parents and siblings ‘in the room’ for our Open Day.
We’re aiming for the virtual Open Day to be a safe and enjoyable one for everyone involved and we’ll look forward to seeing lots of smiling faces!